Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Mortality

This year has not started out good! First my good friend Mandy died. Then on January 12th a brother-in-law died and on January 18th my sister died (the one I was closest to). They say things happen in "threes" - so we've had our three!

Also, on January 8th I finished my radiation treatment for breast cancer. I felt like I sailed through this whole breast cancer thing in a very positive manner.

But... when I went to the oncologist after the radiation was over I was told that I have an abnormality in my blood - some immune system thing. They want blood checks every six months because if this abnormality gets out of control it could go into bone cancer. Wonderful news!

For some reason this news hit me worse than the breast cancer thing and I was in a funk and feeling down for several hours that day. Plus, I felt I didn't get much sympathy from family members that I told about this. I think I just wanted someone to say something like, "Gosh, I'm sorry you have something else to be concerned about." I got over my "poor me" attitude within a few hours - thank goodness.

For years I've told my worrier husband, "Don't worry until there is something to worry about!" It was interesting to me that he is now quoting me the same thing.

All this "stuff" has caused me to think more about our mortality.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, it makes TOTAL sense to me that the news of your blood test knocked you for a loop. You were SO READY to be DONE with doctors and try to get back into the swing of healthy living. To discover that you still have serious issues to be aware of and to know the possibility of where it could lead would shake a lot of people.

    Having this come at a time when you are dealing with so many losses has got to be rough.

    Know you are in my prayers, dear friend. ANY time you want to talk I'm just a phone call or an e-mail away.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete